Forums Expat Q&A Soon to arrive in Cuenca

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Christopher Ryan
      Participant

I will be arriving in Cuenca the weekend of Sep 10th & 11th from Peru.

Could anyone offer me some good leads for affordable, safe accommodations while I transition into a more permanent living situation in Cuenca?

Thanks in advance! – chris

Bernie

Chris many people live where I currently live who also had places built or found other locations. It’s a 3 story fairly new apt. building with 2 apts. on each floor. I’m going long term here because because I’m 15 min. from an olympic pool, 5 min from Fierra Libre a huge outdoor market, 8 min. from an organic coop. 15 min. from a Super Maxi and the bus stop is 150 ft. from the apt. At Fierra Libre is a major bus hub to venture anywhere in the city. Taxis are constant right out the front door. Taxi’s to El Centro tourists hangout run about $2.40 to $3.00 one way .There is a tiny market on the ground floor and Pablo and Maya are very helpful Pablo speaks English, and sees who enters the building. Safety is a concern for me, there are 3 locks you go through to get in your room. No break ins in the apts. history. DOWNSIDE, were on a busy street but 3 apts. are in backside and not a problem, for me. There are some drunks sleeping at the bus stop from time to time. Were in an Ecuadorian neighborhood not Gringoland. Bus fumes are fairly bad but that’s anywhere you go in the city. Landlord is Excellent, hot water, electricity, propane very good, 2 days in 6 months here lost water once and the electricity was out for 8 hours. Got through Airbnb, good wifi, Direct TV, washer dryer, fully furnished I believe $485.00 to $575.00 per mo.for any apt. Send me email address and I will send you photos of my 1 bedroom apt. also 2 and 3 bedroom apts.

Christopher Ryan
        Participant

Hi, Bernie –

Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful advice. For me the initial visit into Cuenca is entirely exploratory – and I intend it to be fairly short term.

My two biggest goals for this visit are: a) to get the lay of the land, so to speak – a feel for the city and b) to find a trustworthy immigration lawyer to get a residency visa sorted out.

Should you have any thoughts then on “short term” accommodations (a safe hostel or short term BB type of arrangement) please feel free to share them here.

Thanks Bernie – I sincerely appreciate your time and your response!

Best Wishes – chris

Sumana Harrison

Chris, I can help you with a lovely, well-situated apartment, for less than above. Please email me sumanasanta at gmail.com

Debi Bloom

HI there!
      I may have something that would fit your short term needs. We have a furnished 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in a new building with all appliances (fridge, microwave, and stove). The apartment is on the 2cd floor of a structure comprised of 4 apartments. The landlord and family live on the 1st floor and we live on the 3rd. It is in a very safe part of town and there is a bus stop right in front of the building. Rent includes all utilities, Wifi, and Chromecast TV. You can rent it for $20 per night, $100 per week, or $350 for a month. It is very homey and you have access to a washer and dryer on our beautiful balcony. If you are interested I can be reached at [email protected]. Look forward to hearing from you. Best of luck, Debi.

richard minkin
      Participant

Hi Christopher,

I can’t recommend a place to stay, but I have lived in Cuenca for 3 1/2 years and am happy to answer any questions about life here, including the Visa and Cedula process, cost of living, health insurance and more. I do not charge for my help and would be happy to meet you for coffee during your visit. In the interim, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or on my MagicJack at 310-742-4618.

Regards,
      Richard

Louis Bourgeois
      Participant

Chris, I have a B&B ten minutes from Las Americas, above Ordonez Lasso….great views, quiet, clean air, but you can walk or bus or taxi into town…$15/night, $90/week for single, includes breakfast. plus my wife is Cuencana and can help you with any questions about the city, etc.

Christopher Ryan
        Participant

Bonjour Louis –

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my inquiry. Your place sounds beautiful. However, I have been fortunate to have already made arrangements for my stay in Cuenca! – sometimes you just get lucky!

Best Wishes, chris

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.