Forums Expat Q&A Reccomendations on Traveling from Quito to Cuenca

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe & Lisa Schram
      Participant

Hi all!

My wife and I are traveling to Cuenca in March. The flight layover in Quito is 9-10 hours at best. Is there a better way to get to Cuenca from Quito other than flying?

Also, can you recommend a good hotel in Cuenca?

Thanks,

Joe

Neil M
      Participant

Generally when travelling from Quito to Cuenca a layover is almost always involved. What I do when I’m flying back into Ecuador is take the night flight from Houston to Quito so that I land sometime around 5:00am and then jump on the first flight to Cuenca. This usually results in a 2 hour layover.

What happens in most cases is the flight arrives sometime around midnight and then you will need to find a hotel to stay at so you can board your plane in the morning. There are a number of Quito airport hotels that would be available for you to stay at.

Taking the bus from Quito would ever be considered a better option than flying. Generally the trip takes 9+ hours on a bus to get to Cuenca. I would much prefer a 45 minute flight. What I would recommend is to relax when you arrive, rent a hotel and enjoy your surroundings before heading to Cuenca.

Regarding good hotels, it really depends on your budget and what area you want to stay near. I would recommend Rione, Casa san rafael, Hotel Victoria, Mansion Alcazar (a bit pricey) Hotel El dorado, Hotel Santa Monica. I would give trip advisor a look over to see a complete list of the hotels in the area that will fit your budget

Joe & Lisa Schram
      Participant

Thanks so much for the input!

Joe

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.