Forums Expat Q&A Free Q&A with “Ecuador Visas” every day – just send your email to Attorney Sara

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 years, 1 month ago by Attorney Sara Chaca.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Attorney Sara Chaca

Have a question related to any type ‘Ecuador Visa’ process or situation, or perhaps one related to Health Insurance, Real Estate Closings, Last Will Testaments, End of Life Planning, Driver Licenses or even Ecuadorian Citizenship? Simply send it on over to [email protected] for a FREE AND FULL RESPONSE, directly from “Ecuadorian Immigration Attorney” Sara Chaca herself – all answers are provided by her in minutes to hours!

Feral Macloud

I have a current retirement visa in Ecuador. I left May 1016 to spend time in Mexico. I understand some requirements regarding medical insurance are now in place. I don’t want to loose my EC retirement visa. I also have read that it is ok to be out of the country for 5 years. What do I need to do. To keep my Ec retirement visa in good standing.
      Thanks so much and Happy Holidays.
      Feral Macloud

Attorney Sara Chaca

Good morning Feral,

Thanks for your message. As long as you hadn’t left Ecuador for more than 90 days during EITHER of your first two years of Permanent Residency (i.e. this means of course that you ARE/WERE permitted to leave Ecuador for up to 90 days in EACH of your first two years of Permanent Residency), then following your first two years of Permanent Residency having been completed, you are now in that case permitted to leave Ecuador for up to 5 years on a single trip, then return to Ecuador for at least one day, and then depart Ecuador for yet another 5 years, and so on and so forth. You have NO NEED to furnish proof of health insurance to the Ecuadorian government IF you are currently outside of Ecuador and have no plans to return to Ecuador in the months ahead. And so, it would be best to check back in with me when it is within say, 60 days of your desired return to Ecuador, so that I can advise you at that time, what, if anything, you will need to provide as proof of health insurance to the Ecuadorian government.

Kind regards,
      Attorney Sara Chaca

Mike Hanley

Good evening Sara,

My wife and I are considering a move to Cuenca. While we are of retirement age (63), we intend to relocate on an Investor Visa. Can you give me an idea of how much time is needed to obtain this type of visa, whether it is possible to get this visa prior to arrival and whether we could change our visa status (from Investor to Pensioner) after 3 to 5 years living in Ecuador? I am also concerned with the safety of our investment, as I have read that at least one institution (cooperativa?) was closed by the government but it is unclear whether all depositors recovered their investments.

Thanking you in advance.

With kind regards,
      Michael J. Hanley

Attorney Sara Chaca

Good evening Michael,

Thanks for writing as well, and I am happy to hear of yours and your wife’s desired move to Ecuador :-).

The time necessary to obtain the Investor Visa (as is your desire) is generally taking between 45-60 days right now (counting from the date we apply for your Investor Visa), and yes absolutely you can change your Visa status in 2 or more years following receiving your Temporary Residency Visa (as might well also be of your desire per your message above). As per the safety of your investment of $26,750 (the amount currently required for a husband and wife together on the same Investor Visa), it is 100% GUARANTEED by the Ecuadorian Government at all times up to $32,000 (current insurance protection amount), and so there is not/never has been, any realized risk of loss for any person who invests/invested less than the maximum of $32,000 insurance protection automatically provided by the Ecuadorian Government in the case of any insured Cooperative or Bank failure.

For purposes of discussing yours and your wife’s own case further, I will be more than glad to email with you at your leisure, and so feel free to send a message to me at [email protected] so that we can continue conversing and I of course answer any/all of yours and your wife’s additional questions regarding your potential move to our beautiful country of Ecuador!

Have a pleasant evening,
      Michael

Attorney Sara Chaca

Michael, my apologies, as the immediate above response that I sent you last night, had a formatting issue occur at the end of it when I sent it to you, as when I finished the above message to you by writing, “Have a pleasant evening, Michael”, it displayed as though I was writing in your place (i.e. as Michael), which naturally the message is/was from me (Attorney Sara Chaca), simply wishing you (Michael) a pleasant evening :-).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.